Saturday, October 07, 2006

Tacky



So, I have a secret: I love tacky lights!!! I suppose this makes me a bit white trash. I truly think that Christmas lights, when done tastefully, are wonderful to look at any time during the year. As a matter of fact, when I learned that the neighborhood we recently moved into is famous for Christmas lights, I was thrilled. J and I have been talking about how we can decorate our house during the holiday season since August. We have yet to really come up with anything great.

It turns out that our neighborhood doesn't just do Christmas. The people in my 'hood like to go out a little too much for each holiday. My neighbor, for example, has so many decorations in her front yard in preparation for Halloween that one barely even notices her house. I can only imagine what it will look like in a month or two. Last week, as I spoke with her, she informed me that she likes to decorate because there are so many trick-or-treaters that come through the neighborhood (last year there were just under 250--yes, 250!). J and I do not have a whole lot of time to dedicate to decorating. Furthermore, he doesn't want "to store all that crap all year long". Despite this fact, I've been keeping my eyes open for decorations. At first, I thought I would do something simple and understated. However, today I found lights. I bought two strands of orange lights, which I have wrapped in and out of our railing on the front steps and then I bought a hideous "Happy Halloween" sign, which is lighted in purple and orange lights, and put it above our front door. It all looks quite over-the-top and tacky....

Wonderfully tacky....

and it makes me smile....

1 comment:

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Looks great! Reminds me a little of those sparkly lights you had in your office!