Friday, September 08, 2006

Smile

My husband has always wanted a garage. He is a "car guy". He has tools—lots of tools. I think that, on some level, he has a fantasy about having his own “perfect” garage. As a matter of fact, before we purchased our current residence, we put in an offer on a house based off of the fact that it had a five-car garage—that was about all that was appealing about it. Needless to say, we did not get that house, but instead live in a very modest split-level with a very standard two-car garage.

My husband often likes to point out to me how gracious it is of him to allow me to park one of our cars in "his" garage. I guess I am supposed to feel indebted to him somehow - that is okay though. If nothing else, it is entertaining. I love watching him examine whether or not I have pulled the car too close to his workbench. I like how he calculates whether or not the car is in the exact middle of the parking space...it is all quite amusing.

The other day I went to the store to pick up some household items. One thing I purchased was a 12-pack of papertowels. When I came home, my husband was busy at work on his buddy's Mustang. In an effort to stay out of the way, I did not pull into the garage, but pulled into the driveway instead. As I approached our house, my husband requested that I give him a hand by holding a part while he fastened a bolt. To comply with his request, I set down the papertowels.

Following the task, I entered the house. I forgot the papertowels. It turns out that leaving such objects in my husband's sacred space is unacceptable. Later in the evening, my husband commented on my mistake. I asked if he brought the products in the house. He indicated he had not.

The following day, I went to work. When I came home, I found that the papertowels and other items were strown across our couch in our basement. I asked my husband why the objects were there. He replied, "They don't belong in the garage". Fine. I am okay with that. Why then, I inquired, had he not put the items in their proper places? My husband indicated that he just wanted to get my stuff out of "his garage". I was notififed that garages are exclusively for cars, tools, and other guy stuff. Again, that is okay...

I really do not care to have my stuff in the garage. Further, I am fine with it being my husband's space. He loves it and I respect that. I want him to have his own things in the world. There is something about me, however, that does not like being told what to do. I am stubborn. I prefer my husband provide me with the illusion of having some control over our home. He usually supplies me with that courtesy.

As usual, I decided not to argue with him. Arguing is not fun. There is no point. My husband rarely makes his mind up about anything, but when he says something--it is law. It just so happened, however, that I was being a bit fiesty (in a fun way) and did not want to accept this particular law.

When I do not want to argue with my husband, but still want to get my point across, I become obnoxious....it is fun for all involved. Last night was no exception.

What did I do? Good question. I did not move my car and insist I would never step foot in the garage again. I did not even make a huge sign marking the garage as my husband's territory.....Instead, I grabbed a roll of papertowels and "papertowled" the garage. The whole thing was covered....

It was obnoxious....



It was awesome....



I made him smile...








(P.S. My husband has informed me I am never to touch his territory again. I told him not to challenge me. I promised him that next time I will not stop at papertoweling the place, but instead have plans to hot glue rosettes all over the walls. He glanced at me sideways....He doesn't know what to expect...it is awesome. It makes me smile.)

1 comment:

The Baby Makes 4 said...

Good stuff! I would have heard that story over lunch, now I just get to read it :( Alas, I am very happy to hear it whether in person or through blogging! Tell your hubby "hi" for us!