Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hornets



Anyone who has known me for a long time knows that I used to dream of being in the Navy. I loved the idea of working with planes, being a part of team, and traveling the world. I plastered my room with posters of jets, learned the stats regarding their speeds and wingspan, etc. This was, of course, before my life’s path twisted and turned and I thought about teaching and working to change the world in my own backyard. It was also before I fully understood the purpose of the military, came to oppose most political decisions and really started to question our society.

Nowadays, the thought of being in the military is ridiculous. It turns out that I don’t particularly enjoy being told what to do. Boot camp would kill me as well. I also have more simple desires of having BBQs in my backyard, drinking coffee with friends, and veggin’ on my couch. If you can keep a secret, I’ll even admit that I like mundane things like going to work each day, grocery shopping, paying bills, and vacuuming -- things that would probably be a bit difficult if serving on a ship. Needless to say, my personality changed a great deal over the years. My current frame of mind is not conducive to being the great Navy girl I once thought I could be.

With that said, each year at about this time I daydream about the Navy. As Seafair roles around, the Blue Angels fly into town and I become excited. I am not bothered by the traffic delays that they bring. I do not mind seeing them on the news every two to three minutes. I admire the naval aviators’ skills and enjoy reading about that year‘s team. I admire their maneuvers and think about the world I once hoped would be mine. To me, the Blue Angels are the ultimate example of precision flying.

I wonder how my life would be different if I would have followed my original plan. What would I be doing right now? Would I live in this state? Would I be married? Would I have earned my graduate degree? Would I have a different perception of our country? Would I still admire the Hornets from afar?

No comments: