Friday, August 11, 2006

Distractions

In a time of war, stress, and chaos, it is sometimes nice to have a distraction. Distractions allow one to free his or her mind from reality and to think of what could be or of what might have been. Distractions allow one to forget the demands, disappointments and responsibilities of everyday living. Distractions, put simply, are often fun.

Each person seems to have his or her own type of distraction. Distractions can come in the form of redecorating, forming a crush, planning an event, reading a great novel, or a variety of other activities. Basically, it seems that the key element of a distraction is to occupy the mind -- to allow it's owner to contemplate it, to concentrate on it and to provoke intellectual activity/feelings.

One might ask, "Are distractions healthy"? Do they allow a person to be creative? Reduce stress? Think things through completely? Or, are they simply a barrier to dealing with one's real thoughts rather than facing them head-on? If the latter is true of distractions, is that necessarily a bad thing?

As I have experienced numerous changes over the past six months, I myself have formed several new distractions. By looking over the contents of this page, one may notice that my entries have become more frequent. It seems that I allow myself to be distracted by trivial topics and writing as I avoid those tasks that I should complete. I do not know why this change occurred. I have always had weird thoughts in my head. I have always perseverated about things. Why start writing about them now? Why put the time and effort in to such an activity? Why engage in such a distraction? I suppose in many ways, writing my thoughts down allows me to get them out of my head, which, in turn, allows me to concentrate on new things. So, perhaps my latest distraction actually contributes to my productivity in life rather than inhibiting it.

I know other people that have their own distractions too. I have one friend whom is constantly thinking about opening up his own business. He contemplates the business's structure. He imagine it's successes. He even imagines how his life would be different if it existed. I have another friend whom admires a local merchant from afar. Although happily involved in her own relationship, sometimes she and her partner go through bumpy days. On such days (and others too, I suppose), she will go visit this person. Since she does not know him, he appears to be perfect. He has yet to disappoint her. By permitting herself to ponder about this man, my friend may allow her mind to escape the details of her own life and ignore the imperfections of her relationship. Still another friend of mine distracts himself by contemplating the possibility of supernatural forces. He spends his time and effort researching the prospect of such phenomena rather than completing his work or completing other tasks. What happens if "they" do exist, he wonders. What happens if he is the one to confirm their existence?

No matter what form they may take, it is clear that most people endure distractions. We all need a break. We need to have our minds stimulated occasionally. I am thankful for life's distractions. I embrace them. I hope that I continue to wonder about things. I hope that I continue to question. I hope, in some respects, that I continue to perseverate to some degree.

I hope I continue to be distracted.

No comments: