Monday, July 31, 2006

Shifts

Over the past couple of months, it seems like there are several people on my floor at work whom are getting to know each other fairly well. It is amusing to me, as we have all worked together for years, but are only now taking the time to get to know one another. Turns out that we all get along. We're all pretty cool people. Although clearly some of us are cooler than others...just kidding.

Anyways, we are all kind of invested in each other's lives. It is great. We are all mildly in one another's business without having any investment at all. We tell what we want to without telling anything at all. I can tell a story about how frustrated I am with my husband just to have it pointed out to me that I am being a complete pain. You see, if one of my co-workers tells me I am a pain, they have nothing to lose -- none of them have to live with me. At the same time, one of the others in the group can tell a story about how she is seeing a guy and I can point out that the guy is not quite right for her. If she does not like what I have to say, no biggie. She hears my perspective and no matter how correct or irritating it may be, she has to work with me. She is locked in...

I have come to value these friendships more than I would have ever believed. I am now friends with people whom I never would have ever felt worthy of talking to in other contexts. I look forward to seeing my friends each day and am eager to see what a shift will bring. I am happy to spend time with my co-workers. I am excited to learn from them. I am grateful that we have had the opportunity to touch each other's lives while working on changing our corner of the world. I will miss my friends. As I embark on different things, I hope that we will keep in touch...

No comments: