I've been thinking a lot about self-care lately. I am not sure exactly what brought on this period of reflection... Perhaps my thoughts were sparked by the approach of my one-year anniversary of being in the hospital...Perhaps it was it was something much less significant...I do not know.
I realized over the past year that this is the only life I am going to get. I almost lost it last year. I need to take care of myself. I need to enjoy those around me and what life has to offer. With this line of thought, I have made several changes in my life:
. One: Work is not my top priority. Although I believe in working hard and doing a good job, I no longer feel compelled to go to work early each day nor do I feel the need to stay late. Instead, I allow myself to hit the snooze button one more time and snuggle into the covers and then to run home at the end of my day to wish my husband a good shift. I'm okay with it too. I realized that I have the next 50+ years to work so I can just chill...
. Two: Having fun is important. I have made extra efforts to ignore housework and running errands, etc. when given the opportunity to enjoy the company of family and friends instead. I recently joined a soccer team as well in an effort to meet even more people, get some exercise and to play. If I die tomorrow, it really won't matter if I have a load of laundry in the dryer, especially if I can create one more memory today.
. Three: I have decided that I do not always need to react with as much emotion as I have in the past. Although passion is wonderful, anger is not. I am making an effort not to allow myself to get angry. Being angry is not what I want to do with my time. What is the point? It takes so much effort to be angry and can't be good for me. It is not as if the man in front of me cares how I react once he has cut me off...It is clear that he is a prick whether I embrace him or strangle him. So, I'm making efforts to roll with life.
Only three changes so far...I hope that many more follow. I like the idea of taking care of myself. I want to do well and appreciate this life. I hope others make an effort to make similar changes in their own lives..I think that we may all be a bit happier if we all just take a few minutes to re-evaluate and work on ourselves...
No comments:
Post a Comment