Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Milestones

There are many milestones in a person’s life. Some are more significant than others. For example, getting married is (at least for most people) more important/memorable than losing one’s first tooth.

I experienced a milestone of sorts the other day: I was pulled over for the first time.

One might think that such an experience would be traumatic. It should make a person’s pulse change, body temperature rise, etc. The typical person may panic when be pulled over for the first time — but not me. I made a dumb move, saw the cop shortly thereafter, and saw the flashing lights long before they actually went on.

I deserved a ticket—although, for whatever reason, did not get one.

After the officer let me go, I found myself amused. For the first time ever, I felt like an “official driver”. Why? I do not know. I did, however, find myself calling my father to share my “milestone”….

It is funny to me what I get excited about. Why is it that I am more excited about one of my students doing well in my class than I am about getting a new car? Why am I more excited about seeing Christmas lights than I am about buying a new house? Why was getting pulled over more momentous in my mind than graduating college?

As I continue through life, I know that I will experience numerous additional milestones. I hope that I recognize and celebrate them as they occur…

No comments: