I survived my second week of classes. Not only did I survive, I did pretty darn well today. My friend, Kimberly, says it is due to my new shoes. She says they make me look cute, which makes me feel better and more effective in front of an audience...perhaps she is correct.
On Monday, I was devastated to see that several people dropped my course. Over the week, however, I learned more students decided to stick it out with me than I originally thought. Some were out of town and others were sick. A couple did drop though. I've decided that is okay. Not everyone will like my style. Not everyone will like me as a person or an instructor. I am coming to terms with the fact that it is not my job to please everyone all of the time-- this is an impossible task anyways. My aunt keeps reminding me that I am the teacher....Teachers have hard jobs. Not only are the information-relayers, they also must be performers and confidants of sorts.
Several of my students have talked with me outside of class this week. I have learned that students take classes for the oddest reasons. Since I am teaching a psych course, I can't help but think that a couple of my students expect me to fix conflicts within themselves and their lives-- a task I am not willing to take on nor am I capable of doing within 50 minutes each day. Instead, I choose to make my students think. I want them to examine themselves and problem-solve for themselves. I know I have enough to figure out for myself....
No comments:
Post a Comment