I made it through my first week teaching...not without plenty of bumps along the way though. On the day of my first lecture, I bombed. All of the sudden, I became keenly aware of the fact that 45 people were staring at me. The second day was a bit better. I decided that I would do well and did just that. Students were involved and interested in what I had to say. The final day of lecture was somewhere in between the first two days with students complaining about the size of font used on the overheads.
I find myself struggling. I want to be accomodating to the students, but don't want this course to take over my entire life. Some students only want me to lecture. Others only want me to give them activities to complete. I need to find a balance. I need to gain control of the classroom and gain confidence in my abilities.
Students seem interested in what I have to say-- seems like more when I talk about the clients I work with rather than what the text covers. Sometimes I think I should scrap my original outline and go with what I know...I am unsure.
I know one thing...as I begin to embark on my second week, I am nervous. I want to do well. I NEED to do well. If not just for myself also for the students. I will do well. I will do well...
No comments:
Post a Comment