Monday, May 18, 2015

Thirteen 2.0

Sprout,

This week you turned thirteen months old. The day came and went without much notice, as you were sick and all we have done for the past week is try to make you comfortable. There is nothing that leaves a parent feeling more helpless than watching his or her child uncomfortable and knowing there is nothing we can do to help. With that, I tried to ignore work as much as possible, offered lots of snuggles, and Daddy and I both sacrificed our sleep -- for days. I really hope that you start to feel more like yourself soon and that we can get you back on a reliable sleeping schedule of sorts soon.

Beyond being ill, this month was an eventful one for several other reasons as well. First, we bought a house. We bought a farmhouse, in fact. It is unlike any other house we looked at and much different than what I anticipated we would purchase, but we think it will work well for our family. It is old and thus retains the charm that Daddy and I both like. Further, it has a garage to let you men-folk have the space you need to pursue projects. Finally, it has an expansive yard for you and your brother to explore. The only real drawback to the house that I can see is that is further out than I would desire. I suspect its location will help us further cultivate a quiet life though, too.

Due to the fact that the house is so far out, we will have a long commute to your school. At first, Daddy and I just assumed that we'd have you move schools, but we have yet to find another program of the caliber that we wish for you. Further, we decided we only want to introduce one change into your life at a time. You actually just moved up to the the toddler classroom. With that, you're already meeting new friends and learning a new routine. We fear much more change may be too stressful to you. Further, we were excited that you were finally in Ms. S's class. She is one of our faves. Alas, the day we made the decision not to remove you from your school at this time, Ms. S put in her two-weeks' notice as she and her family are off to big and better adventures. Daddy and I were devastated by the news of her impending departure. We're hopeful that your next teacher, Ms. M., can fill her shoes.

Outside of school, you are into everything. You have so much spunk! While you still do not speak much (Daddoo, Mamoo, meow, uh-oh, and NO!), you seem to understand most things perfectly. You also seem to like to test your boundaries ~ already! Often, you'll grab something you know you're not supposed to have and put in your mouth before looking at me and smiling while waiting to be scolded. You're such a little stink! You also roll your eyes. What one year-old does that?!? You, my friend. You're like a cat. You make eye contact with someone and then look up and off to the side. While it could be perceived as rude, I think your eye rolling is actually an attempt at flirting. Silly boy!

You tend to ask about your Daddy a lot. When I pick you up at school, you inquire, "Daddoo?". When we get home, it is the same thing. When you can't see Daddy, but know him to be home, you'll ask for him. I'm often a bit jealous because you rarely ask for me. Yet, I recently realized that you're actually quite attached to me. You now get frustrated when I walk past, if I do not stop to greet you (or, more specifically, pick you up and bring you with me). You also engage in more social referencing than I once realized. I think your favorite activity with me besides snuggling is singing. You must ask me to sing 'Itsy Bitsy Spider' no less than 30 times per day. You like to request 'Bringing Home a Baby Bumblebee' quite frequently, too. When I do, you look at me like I have magical powers! I hope you always view me with such admiration, even if just to a more limited degree.

The next month is going to be a busy one for us, my dear little one. We're going to pack up all of our things and move to a new house. Quickly that house will become our home. My wish is that it is one that you come to adore. I hope it serves as the perfect background for you, your brother, Daddy, and I to create wonderful memories as we grow as a family. Daddy and I want so much for you boys. We are so appreciative of all that you add to our lives. We love you so much.

Love,
Mama

No comments: