Dear Sprout,
You joined our lives just last week. Earlier than scheduled, but not necessarily earlier than anticipated.
Your birth was very much like my pregnancy -- definitive, but manageable. I started having contractions just as your Daddy left for work. By mid-shift, I recommended via text that he come home and take a nap, as I anticipated the next day would be a long one. He declined and indicated he would come home when 'something real' started to happen. An hour later, I sent a list of my contractions and their durations and your wise father decided to come home after all. After a few additional hours, I became too uncomfortable and started to get anxious. We woke up your big brother, took him to Aunt B's and headed to the hospital.
When we arrived at the hospital, my anxiety decreased significantly, as I was no longer worried about getting stuck on the freeway in the midst of rush hour traffic. As it turns out, rush hour doesn't exist at 3 a.m. In triage, the nurse hooked me up to monitors, watched my contractions for a bit, and checked our heart rates. It was clear to both Daddy and me that she had no intention of admitting us and would likely, at best, humor us by allowing us to walk around the hospital. That is, until she checked me. She said, "Wow. You surprised me." It turns out that I was almost 6 cm dilated at that time. Moments later, we were in our own room awaiting your arrival.
I decided to have an epidermal with you, as I was exhausted and simply did not think I could endure the pain for hours and hours. After becoming a bit more comfortable, it was time for a nap. Daddy slept for a couple of hours, while I sat and stared out the window, unable to reach my computer, the remote for the tv, or my phone. It was absolute silence and calm. I later described it to Daddy as 'luxurious'. After a bit of a rest, the nurse decided that I should try to push just so we could get a sense of how far off your arrival would be. As I did so, the nurse exclaimed, "Stop!" and ran to get a doctor. As it turns out, you and I were closer than she anticipated. Once the doctor arrived, I pushed a couple of times before once again being directed to stop my efforts. Your umbilical cord was around your neck and they had to move it. Once that was handled, I pushed just once or twice more and then you entered the world. Just as with your brother, I experienced a feeling of incredible serenity once you were born. My life felt more complete and I was content that you entered the world healthy.
Throughout the remainder of the day, a parade of visitors lined up to meet you. Everyone was excited to see you and many people commented on how similar you look to your Daddy and brother.
Speaking of your brother, he seemed both in awe and a little bit leery regarding your arrival. We are confident, however, that you two will love and care for each other quite a bit once you get to know each other.
Thus far, you are an incredibly sweet baby. You prefer to cuddle over anything else and have a tendency, specifically, to roll onto your right side towards my tummy whenever possible. You are generally quiet, but have no hesitation to let us know when you're less-than-pleased. You are clearly one of our offspring.
Daddy and I feel blessed to have you in our lives and are thankful you joined our family. We look forward to watching you grow, and consider it an honor to be a part of your life.
Thank you for being you and for choosing us.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment