Thursday, September 26, 2013

Sixteen


Tadpole,

Today you are sixteen months old. Only one word seems to accurately reflect this time in your life: Magical. Everything is an adventure. You show enthusiasm consistently.
The past few weeks have been eventful, to say the least. You mastered walking and are now into everything. You found your voice and now shriek to communicate both excitement and frustration.

It seems that we are busier than ever. I finished up my final quarter at one of my schools. For the first time in almost 10 years, I have only one job. It is both wonderful and terrifying. Needless to say, I am still adjusting. I have been ill in recent weeks, which makes me even more thankful for the transition. I have some writing and research projects t complete. Thus, my hope is that I adjust quickly am able to hit my new stride. Daddy has also been particularly busy with work, as he recently had his first student. I guess it is important to acknowledge how busy you are at school, too. Last month you worked on learning about the ocean. This month’s theme is ‘All About Me’. You’re learning about body parts, how to make friends, and such. Daddy and I are constantly surprised by how much you seem to absorb.

We spend a lot of time reading with you. Your new favorite book is ‘The Little Blue Truck’. We read it over, over, and over. You bring it to us and say, ‘Beep. Beep’. It is adorable and there is no way to say no to you. Other favorite books include ‘Ten Little Fish’ and ‘Goodnight Moon’. Of course, you still love the old favorites (Brown Bear, Brown Bear; Feathers for Lunch) too. Your favorite songs include ‘Itsy Bitsy Spider’, ‘ABCs’, and ‘If You’re Happy and You Know It’.
We were able to attend your cousin, N’s, fifth birthday a few weeks ago. You loved listening to everyone sing ‘Happy Birthday’ and were in awe when he blew out his candles and got to open presents. You also had a play date with your cousin, A. You had a ton of fun playing with him and exploring his toys. Last night, you and I attended your school’s open house and you showed me all of your favorite toys. You even got to have a cookie!

You’re starting to remember people more frequently now. While you’ve always been excellent at recognizing people you see daily (neighbors, teachers, etc.), you’re also starting to ask about people
that you see less often. You like to sit in front of our cabinet in the living room where we have a number of framed pictures. You point to the pictures and identify those in them (‘Nana’, ‘Gpa’, ‘Yely’, etc.). It is pretty neat to watch.

The upcoming month promises to be equally as exciting as all the rest. Mama and Daddy each have a few trips to take over the mountains for work and to work on the cabin, respectively. You will likely engage in a fair amount of mischief with your BFF, O. Halloween is coming and you may attempt to trick-or-treat. I will continue to work on my dissertation. As always, our lives will continue to be full of adventure.

Even though thing can get a bit chaotic amongst all the adventure, please remember: Daddy and I love all that you are – yesterday, today, and tomorrow, too.

Love,
Mama

No comments: