Since Tadpole joined our household, I fear the quality of our conversations has gone down. Here, I'll give you and example: The Cheese
Context: Tadpole's class learned about farm animals. One of the songs they learned was 'Farmer in the Dell". Trying to be a decent Mama, I thought I'd engage in some of his curriculum at home, too.
Me: Tadpole -- let's sing. The farmer in the dell. The farmer in the dell. Heigh-ho,the derry-o, the farmer in the dell. Wait...I can't remember the words. J, what comes next?
J: What are you talking about? I have no idea what that song is. I think you're making it up.
Me: What? How do you not know the Farmer in the Dell? Wait. He takes a wife. Then, there is something about the cheese.
J: The cheese?
Me: Yeah, the cheese.
J: You've got to be kidding me. The cheese?
Me: Yeah. You know. The cheese stands alone!
J: The cheese stands alone? The farmer takes a wife and the cheese stands alone? That doesn't even make sense? What are you teaching [Tadpole]?
Me: I'm going to google this. This is ridiculous.
[Googles and feels triumphant]
Me: Okay. The farmer takes a wife, the wife takes a child, the child takes a dog, the dog takes a cat, the cat takes a mouse, the mouse takes a cheese, and the cheese stands alone. [I then sing it. Tadpole is ecstatic by the song)
J: This song is ridiculous.
Me: Whatever. It is a classic. You're just mad you don't know it. You could learn it, you know.
J: No. Thanks.
Me: Whatever. We're still going to sing it.
[Song starts over]
J:Wait. Why does the cheese have to stand alone?
Me: I don't know. That is how the song goes.
J: Well, it doesn't seem fair.
Me: Well, somebody has to stand alone.
J: But why the cheese?
Me: Because it is the cheese.
J: Why does it have to stop with the cheese? Can't the cheese take some microbes?

No comments:
Post a Comment