At the beginning of each year, I pick a 'theme' for the next 365 days. Last year's theme was 'Celebrate' and boy, did I. Having my son, completing my coursework, and passing my written comps were amazing experiences for me. They were each difficult, in their own ways, and yet completely satisfying. I celebrated little moments too. I spent a lot of time in the sun. I went to the beach. I sipped on coffee and savored ice cream.I watched my son sleep. At one point, during the summer, I got pretty ill. On the days I could function, I celebrated feeling healthy.
The beginning of this year started with a packed schedule and a bit of chaos. With that, I did not select my theme. I am unsure if it was simply due to a lack of time, or a lack of reflection. At any rate, I simply could not commit. Now, three weeks into the year, I think I'm finally satisfied with 2013's theme. My theme this year will be: Honor.
Often, I fill my life with too many events. I have too may commitments, too many people asking for assistance, too much noise happening in my head. At times, I compromise my own needs (or desires) to attend to my responsibilities (whether they be legit or perceived). This practice is draining and foolish. I also tend to pretend things are okay when they're not -- not in a manipulative manner, but as a consequence of being a little blind-sighted. It is with this in mind that I commit to myself to honor where I'm at in life throughout 2013. I plan to honor the good and to honor the bad. I'm going to lean into the moment -- whatever it may be -- as much as I can. Eventually, I hope that this practice will become a habit.
I will honor my need for space.
I will honor the fear that accompanies some of the professional pursuits regarding which I'm embarking.
I will honor my need to for time to pursue my own intellectual desires.
I will honor my son's milestones.
I will honor my family's joyous moments.
I will honor the sillyness that is J.
I will honor whatever is happening.
I hope that by honoring where I am at, whatever I'm experiencing, that I will feel more authentic in my daily life and really savor the moments of each day.
2013 is set-up to be an amazing year for me.
I'm committed to truly experiencing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment