Saturday, December 05, 2009

Presentations

Some instructors make their students do group presentations in class. Did you know that? Those teachers are mean.

Consequently, I am MEAN.

This week my students completed their presentations. In general, I was pleased. The assignment is designed to give students a lot of creative freedom and allow them to boost their grades pretty easily. Basically, I assign each group a mental health diagnosis and they need to provide an introduction on the subject to the rest of the class. Piece of cake.

One group, however, made no effort. They likely had the most simple diagnosis. Seriously, they probably could have spent less than two hours on the presentation and done well. Evidently, it wasn't worth that much time even though I was gracious enough to provide them with the same throughout the quarter. I was perplexed at first, but then as they proceeded to talk, I became angry. One gentleman, in particular, was supposed to discuss the current research surrounding bipolar disorder. He basically said the following: "There isn't a whole lot going on regarding this topic right now. Its all about classifying the severity of your illness. Less face it, that is all totally dependent on how much Tylenol or whatever else medication they happen to be pumping into you at the moment. Therefore, it is all about classification". Excuse me, what the hell?

To say I was furious with my students' lack of effort and accuracy would be an understatement. I'll admit that I have a bad temper at times, but rarely does it flare in regards to academia, but I felt it. My jaw set, my blood started rushing, and my heart beat faster than necessary. The second they ended their presentation, I announced a break. I walked outside and put myself in a timeout. I took deep breathes, I thought about how to react. I made myself be calm. Several minutes later, I returned to the room and ordered the next group to present. Once they were done, I lectured a bit on bipolar disorder to make up for the complete inadequacies of the previous presentation.

I later asked my students what happened. I received a flurry of excuses regarding the difficulties of collaborating with others, trouble getting each other on the phone, etc. I did not care.

Students often tell me that it is unfair that I require group work on occasion. They tell me I am mean because I require a presentation. I often hear statements regarding how it is uncool and anxiety-provoking to have to rely on others for a grade. I understand some of these comments. Thus, I take a couple of steps to address the same: My classroom is a completely safe place to bring forth new ideas. I encourage class discussion and do not allow anyone to tear another person down for voicing opposing perspectives. I bring a lot of humor to class discussions and my lectures so that students relax a bit. Further, in regards to the presentation specifically, I make it abundantly clear that I grade each student separately. If Susie and Jon are in the same group and Susie doesn't seem to know her stuff, but Jon clearly prepared then Susie's inadequacies have no effect on his grade. With that said, I think there is no excuse to not put forth effort on this project.

Further, it is a quality assignment.

Students of the world, take note:

As your professor, I do not care if you do not want to complete the assignment. It is a course requirement. It is outlined on the syllabus. If you did not care to do the same, you likely should have dropped the course on day one. Further, collaborating with others is kind of something you must do as a grown-up. Even if you avoid it in my class, you likely will not get through college or be successful in any career if you are not open to working with others. Please do not waste my time with excuses regarding other students' inadequacies. It is my job to evaluate them, not yours. Please focus on yourself. Further, please do not waste my time or that of your peers by presenting information that is not accurate. Not only do you compromise your grade, but you also compromise other students' education as well. Finally, whining is not permitted.

No comments: