Last weekend I was rather excited about the idea of quitting my day job -- about finally just taking the plunge and focusing on teaching. I did the math. Things would be okay. I am finally sought out enough for classes that I can pay my bills on teaching alone. I was enjoying the sun and feeling pretty energized about my grand new plan. In fact, I called my boss and told her I would not be in on Monday, but would be going 4x4ing with J instead. Afterall, I have some PTO to burn before I leave.
The excitement ended, however, on Monday. In the afternoon, I participated in a regularly-scheduled conference call for one of the colleges at which I teach in an online capacity. The call moderator indicated that the college will now enforce its policy that no adjunct faculty member may facilitate more than 7 classes per year. Shit. I typically teach between 12-15 there. My income from that job just got split in half. As I was on the phone, I perused the Internet and stumbled across a posting for my exact same position. Urgh. Stupid policies. They make me cranky. I spoke with my lead on a separate call later. I told him it is frustrating that such a policy is enforced when faculty, such as myself, is ready, willing, and able to take on additional classes - especially when not enough qualified faculty exists to cover the university's current needs. I am not looking for a full-time contract or specific benefits. I just want the income. He agreed that the system is flawed, but indicated he has no influence on the same. Basically, I have to suck it.
Interestingly enough, over the past several weeks I have been pursued by two different academic institutions for assistance. One needs assistance in setting up a Counseling Center. The other needs assistance in the development of a youth mentoring program, which will have college students leading juvenile delinquents (if one would actually want to use such a horrid term) in community service. Both programs are in their infancy. Both do not yet have funding. Both came to me to seek my experience in mental health and academia. Although their needs are vastly different, I have the skills to assist both. The administrator from each program was aware of the same. All they requested from me was for me to 'buy in' to the programs. They're looking to me to believe in their programs, to offer some insight, and to say, 'Yeah. I am willing to help you with that'. As it turns out, I do believe in each program's mission. I do believe each deserves a chance. I do see how I can help facilitate their successes. I will believe in them. I "bought in".
I wish others would do the same for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment