Thursday, March 06, 2008

Socks

I hate loading and emptying the washer and dryer. J hates folding our clothes. Neither of us likes to put our laundry away.

The other day, I convinced J to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer. He brought up our white load, which was in the dryer. Being a brat, I complained that the items in the load were wrinkled (which was dumb because it consisted primarily of his undershirts and socks -- who cares if those are wrinkled?). He made a smartass comment as I rolled a pair of socks. I promptly chucked the ball o' cotton at his head. I felt compelled to send another pair flying his way too - then another.

J does not take my shit. The socks came flying back my way. I ducked. They landed on the floor behind me. I said, "J.M., I am not picking those up!". He reported that he had no intention of doing so either. The thing is that we both knew that neither of us could handle the same. Socks strewn all over the place is not our thing. Yet, we are both stubborn. Neither of us planned to give into the other. We waited each other out. Throughout the night, the socks seemed to travel across the house. Leaving our room to occupy the whole floor. We both pretended this did not bother us. It bugged (yet amused) us both.

The next morning, our sock war continued. J commented that I should pick them up. I told him to bite me -- I was preparing for my 15-hour day. He had the day off. He could do it. We then looked at each other affectionately. J went downstairs to check something in the garage. I took it upon myself to pick up some socks.

A few minutes later, J walked up the stairs. He looked around and noticed that I picked up a majority of the socks. He smiled. The look on his face clearly reflected a sense of accomplishment, yet he said nothing.

A few hours later, J called me while I was in the middle of class. At the end of my lecture, I listened to my voicemail. His message said, "That was not very nice!!"

I called J back to check-in. He said, "You're mean. You let me think I won".

The socks? Oh, I put them in his safe......

(I am pretty convinced everything belongs in there lately...)

No comments: