Saturday, January 05, 2008

Cupcakes


J has this weekend off -- a situation that does not occur often. Even though I am beyond stressed regarding all of the things I must do before the quarter begins on Monday, I decided to set my tasks aside to spend time with him today. We had no particular plans and decided to just hang out and do whatever made us happy. I figured I would spend the first part of the day with him having fun and the latter portion of the day being responsible and productive.

As per our usual, J and I could not figure out what to do. I eventually decided that I wanted to show him a cute little shop I recently discovered. It sells only cupcakes and coffee (perhaps a perfect combination). J wanted to please me - so off we went. I enjoyed a carrot cake cupcake while J ate the 'traditional' -- a white cake + chocolate frosting combo. He had an americano. I had a hazelnut latte. J decided the cupcakes were disappointing. I felt the same about the coffee (although J disagreed with my appraisal of the beverage, stating, 'You're used to crap. This is quality'). Although the experience was a bit disappointing, I was happy to share the my new find with J. I think he was equally as happy to go somewhere I about which I was excited. We both decided we would return to the establishment at a later date to give it another try.

We jumped in our car to advance to the next part of the day's adventures. Much to our surprise, one of our tires was completely flat. J pulled into a parking lot and braved the cold weather as he put on the spare. Then, we headed to the local tire shop. At the tire shop, the gentleman assisting us indicated that our tire could not be repaired. He stated that it appeared that we hit something at a high speed. We assured him we simply pulled out of our parking space. Either way, we needed a new tire. Because J is responsible, it only made sense to purchase two tires to ensure even wear, etc.

In short, what started out as a reasonably-priced quick jaunt to the coffee shop quickly became a few hundred dollar, all-day long adventure....

Only in my life could the desire to acquire a cup of coffee end up costing almost $300. :)

No comments: