Thursday, September 06, 2007

Craig


Lets talk about Senator Craig. He may or may not be a dirty old man that likes to hook-up in the bathroom. He may or may not be a hypocrite – publicly voting against gay legislation only to engage in the forbidden hokie pokie with someone with the same biological parts. He may or may not be just another example of a fallen Republican leader. I do not know. I do not know enough about him or his actions to really have an opinion. What I do know is that this guy is on the news constantly right now and that I cannot even open up my internet browser without reading something about how he was busted in an under-cover airport sting.

I do not hang out in men’s restrooms. I do not know what happens in them. Quite frankly, I do not care. I personally use the restroom to accomplish one thing. I am an in- and-out type of girl. I like to do my business and get on with my day. I have no desire to chitchat with others or to do my hair. I leave those around me alone while they are doing their business and appreciate the same courtesy from those around me. It would never occur to me to pick-up another person in the bathroom –even if it were co-ed.

Who knew men had an entire secret language? Put your bag in front of you, tap your foot on the ground three times, and then swipe your hand on the stall?? How did this code for “lets get it on” spread? Do you know about it? Did you read about it in a magazine? Seriously! If I were a man doing my business in a bathroom and a guy went into the stall next to me and set his bag down in front of his feet, I would most likely not notice nor would I care. What if the guy had difficulty getting his belt off and, during the struggle to do so, accidentally tapped his foot a few times? What happens when someone who does not know the secret squirrel code accidentally speaks it?

Lets say the Senator accidentally spoke the language of the bathroom perverts in one particular airport – maybe it really all was a mistake. After all, it is not as if he were caught with his pants down doing something in the middle of the concourse. If his behavior was misconstrued and the whole ordeal is an error, I feel sorry for the guy. Why did he plead guilty? Why did he not fight his arrest immediately? Did he really think that he would avoid publicity? Now that he has pleaded guilty is it necessary for him to resign from office?

If not an accident and the Senator really was looking to hook-up, how does this really affect me? Or you? Does this behavior really affect his ability to do his job? How would we judge him if he had another position? Granted, I do not think it is appropriate to get in on in the bathroom, but really, where is a guy who is hiding his sexual behaviors supposed to find that ‘special someone’? I mean maybe he is not down with the local scene. Is there a place for middle-aged men in denial of their sexual desires to hook-up? Where should the traveling man go to get his needs met while maintaining a little discretion?

I do not think a person’s sexual orientation matters. 99.99% of the time, another person’s orientation does not affect me. If you are reading this and happen to disagree, please do not bother trying to convince me that being homosexual is somehow immoral. It is not a discussion in which I am willing to engage. I do not see myself as superior enough to judge anyone else’s preferences. Perhaps it is for this reason that I have an issue with Craig’s story. I see the media making a big deal of the fact that this man may have attempted to engage in a homosexual act. Inappropriate for public? Perhaps. Although I would classify this behavior as inappropriate if carried out by the straight folk as well. If, in an effort to make a connection with another man, Senator Criag slipped his number under the stall instead of engaging in a tap dance, would have been considered lewd behavior? I doubt it.

I am not saying people should just drop drawer whenever they feel the urge. I am neither condemning nor condoning Craig’s alleged behavior either. Again, I do not know what actually happened. I am not tearing the good Republican Party either, as I seem to recall a certain Democratic President whom also engaged in some sexual indiscretions. With that said, perhaps I am unusual in the fact that I do not look to politicians to serve as moral compasses in our society. I instead choose to think for myself. I am more concerned that the person representing my interests in office is genuine rather than whether or not he or she and I agree on everything (i.e sexual behavior).

As I see things, this guy’s sexual urges should not be the issue. What should be the issue is that this man may be a lying hypocrite. Then again, perhaps he was simply at the wrong place at the wrong time….

4 comments:

T-Dawg said...

Honestly-
I blast the Republican leaders for this one. He was their boy. So he did a tap dance in the shitter- now they want to flush him away like a used turd. Or how about the people who voted for him.

All of these people backed him because of what he believed in, how he votes on the hill is what should be what matters. Do his votes represent his constituents? Is his voting record consistent with his proclaimed beliefs? Then he should keep his office until they have a chance to vote him out, and the guys running up against him can choose to bring up how he he's a potty tapper then. The ad's will be amazing. Just a black screen... a flush... a couple toe taps... some moans... and finishes with a smiling black and white headshot of the senator.

Gin Hahn,
T

R & R said...

T-
As always, I enjoy your perspective. Thanks for stopping by....
Gin Hahn!

T-Dawg said...

This one ended up in my inbox, an interesting read.

Unarrested

R & R said...

If this article is true and this practice exists, it makes me sad and dissappointed in law enforcement.