
J and I like to make fun of me because I am distractible. They assert that, like a squirrel, I am attracted to shiny objects. I agree. I am distractible. If someone walks by, I watch. If something sparkles, it catches my attention. The list goes on and on. I have always attributed my tendency to be distracted to working for the school district. When I worked for the district, I constantly counted the children in my class as they played at recess or when we were on a field trip. I wanted to ensure everyone was accounted for and that no strangers harmed any of my students. As the children moved around, my eyes followed them. In addition, I noticed who hit whom so that I was able to step-in on the conflicts as soon as they arose. I watched to see which team members were off-sides so that I could settle those arguments too.
Today I was bored -- bored out of my mind. Don't get me wrong, it was not as if I did not have plenty to do. I chose not to do those things though. I have found that my work does not challenge me as I crave. I am not learning anything in my current position, which is frustrating to me. I know, one might argue that it sounds like I have an attitude problem, but really I do not think that this is true... As I reflected on my way to school tonight, I tried to figure out why I do not absolutely love my current position. It is not particularly difficult. The hours are much better than my last job. I can even pay my bills. The thing is that I am bored. No one truly challenges me. I know how to navigate the system I work in and am aware of the fact that there are only so many modes of action in any given situation. I want a new situation. I want to expand my mind -- even if only a little. I wonder if some of the conflicts that J and I have recently endured are also a result of boredom. Is it that I need him around to challenge me more? I find that my best friends in life are those whom I do not necessarily see eye-to-eye with. I really appreciate being pushed to think beyond own perspective and to consider new ideas...
As I consider boredom, I am led to wonder: Is it that I am really just like a furry little rodent-- easily distractible and completely dumb, or is it possible that I just think quickly and am eager to absorb more? I am not sure of the answer, but hope that either way I figure things out....quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment