While hanging out with one of my favorite guys, I learned that I am perceived by many to be "assertive". I argued with him regarding this fact for awhile. Assertiveness just is not a quality that I associate with myself.
A lot of the time I am unsure of myself (this blog is a testament to that). Often, I question my thought processes and decisions. In fact, sometimes I probably think too much. Of course, I am aware of the fact that I can be feisty and even a pain (afterall, that is a part of my charm). However, assertive? Really? For giggles, I looked the definition of the word up on-line tonight. Per dictionary.com, the word means "to be aggressively self-assured". Again, me? Really?
I do not deny that I have a temper. I do not deny that I will speak up when I see injustices. I do not deny that I can be passionate. I can even take charge when the situation warrants the same. So, I guess, yes, I may have the ability to be assertive at times, but do not think that I am a consistently assertive person.
I used to have a picture in my office that read, "Any idiot can handle a crisis, it is the day-to-day living that wears you out". The card has always made me laugh. This is due to the fact that because during crises, I tend to stay calm enough and to handle things well. Some people seem to be under the illusion this is because I know what I am doing. In reality, it is often because I am not thinking. It is not until after a situation is over that I really reflect on it and realize all of the things that could have gone wrong or really considered the dangers that were present, etc. Upon such reflections, I question myself, criticize my actions and say a silent 'thank you' that things did not go poorly. I suppose that I can see why, however, to some people, I may appear assertive at times. Sometimes I do, in fact, appear to know what I am doing and demand that things be done exactly my way. Although, I think that if people really knew all that went through my mind, they may change their opinions.
However, if you are one of those people who think that I am, in fact, assertive....just wait until you meet my sister....:)
4 comments:
Hold On. You argued about wether or not you were assertive? I'm not saying you are, its just that, well, most unassertive people wouldn't really argue wether or not they are assertive.
Jin Hahn,
T
Point well taken. I am a pain in the ass...Jin Hahn, indeed.
Being a pain in the ass, is really just a perspective.
T
some pains in the ass are certainly bad, but some, well some aren't so bad :)
Post a Comment