Lately, I have been listening to an album that I used to listen to on a constant basis. I have not heard to it in years.
I originally purchased the album shortly after graduating college. It was a time when I had a lot going on in my mind. My life was chaos. I just left the world of academia, acquired my first full-time job and was, in many respects, on my own. I remember that time as one of great confusion for me. I was to be married within months. I needed to figure out what I was going to do professionally. I had to figure out how to obtain insurance....
As I listen to the songs now, I remember that time vividly. I remember contemplating my life's choices carefully. I understood that I was quite literally planning the rest of my life (on some level). I had many plans during that time-- some of which were more realistic than others. Some of the plans were more flexible than others as well.
I think, for the most part, I am the same person that I was during that time. I value the same things, have the same sense of humor, and continue to honor the same life motto. With that said, however, things have also changed. My perspective is a bit different, my priorities have shifted, and I am aware of the fact that I do not understand much.
It is interesting to me to examine the incongruities between the life I thought I would lead and the life that I have. On some level, it is a good thing that life has not turned out exactly the way I predicted. In other respects, there are experiences that I now mourn. I wonder how I will remember today in a few years. I wonder if the incongruities will persist. I wonder if that is okay. I wonder where life's path will take me and if the journey is that which I expect. I suppose it really does not matter where I end up as long as I continue to do right by others and am true to myself.
The rest, I suppose, is just about the details....
No comments:
Post a Comment