Sunday, October 01, 2006

Ignorance

I am mad...well, maybe sad....I do not really know what I am...

Typically, I do not watch the news. I choose to live in my own little bubble of ignorance. I think that this might be some type of self-preservation. My ignorance allows me to continue functioning. I do not like to know about the war. I do not wish to hear about violence. I do not care what the weather report looks like. I am not interested in recent sports scores. All of this news is overwhelming to me. I tend to overthink the snipits of information provided about each of these topics. I almost worry about them -- in a way.

Over the past few days, however, I have had a serious case of insomnia. Consequently, I had extra time and have picked up the newspaper to scan the headlines on several different occasions. The headlines I saw included the following, amongst others: "Local Soldier Says Goodbye Before His Death", "Five Found Shot to Death in South Carolina Home", "Suspect Sexually Assaults Victims Before Killings", "One Dead After CB Argument in Washington", and "Wisconsin Student Kills Principal at School".

My response to these headlines is:

What the hell?!?!

What are we doing to each other?

Why are we so mean to one another?

Where does this violence originate?

Why is it that our society uses guns before dialogue to communicate?

Why do we allow it?

As a young woman considering her future, should I plan on having children?

Is it right to bring a child into this environment?

What should I be doing to change things?



My questions go on and on....

...

And that, my friends, is why I do not want to know what is going on in the world...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two or three incidental comments:
1) TV and other media sensationalize crimes and other related/negative events so thus they are disproportionately represented on our television.
2)Without seeing the negative events in our world many of us would not be as motivate to engage in productive and positive endeavors thus making the world a truly better place
3)Lastly, the reality is that the world is an unforgiving and often times a hostile environment for many people living in our world and thus we need to recognize such realities and again make efforts to change the world for the better.

i

R & R said...

Although you make good points, my opinion does not change. I am aware of the fact that for every horrible story I read, there are probably thousands of good tales not told. With that said, I am dissappointed in humanity. I am disgusted by our cruelity towards one another. I do not understand it and am not convinced that I will ever be willing to put forth the effort to try to figure it out. Thanks for the comment and thanks for keeping me focused on reality...S