We all choose our lives' paths (at least to a certain extent). In some portions of the path, we have more control. At other points, it seems that chaos and chance collide and we must live with the results...
I have been reading a lot lately-- well, a lot for me. Most recently, I completed reading a novel about a woman living in suburbia. The neighborhood the main character described is much like the one I now inhabit: There a lot of people driving SUVs up to their homes with beautifully manicured lawns. It is a place where everyone stops to wave hello and weeds are not allowed. This neighborhood is a stark contrast to the one I lived in just a few mere weeks ago...
The novel was nothing great. Although it was entertaining enough, I doubt the author will be receiving any major literary awards for her efforts. With that said, the book, like many things in life, made me think. Throughout the course of the novel, the main character faces choices she made in the past and reflects on how those choices have led her to her current position in life. She runs into a man that she loved once upon a time and compares him to the safe husband she chose. She wonders about what her life would have been like had she taken a chance with the first man rather than settling down with her husband. Would she still have a successful career? Or, would she, in fact, be a suburbanite housewife? Would she have children? Would she be in style? Which life would be better?
My husband noticed my sudden interest in reading and asked me what my book was about (he graciously ignored the fact that my sudden urge to read has increased as my desire to unpack has decreased). I gave him a condensed book report of the story up to that point and the two of us discussed our own life paths as we walked through the neighborhood.
Where would we each be had we not met each other? If my parents had not forced me to attend confirmation classes, would we have ever started talking? Had he not had cookies one day when I was particularly hungry, would I have noticed him? Had he and I not been involved in a relationship, would I have gone to a different university? Would this have affected my choice of major? My degree?
Similarly, if he and I had not met each other, would he have joined the Navy as planned? Would he still be with his ex-girlfriend? Would he have several Mustangs and a motorcycle or two rather than a house?
Likewise, would either of us be married right now? Have a mortgage? Children? If he dated other women and I saw other men, would we have met each other at a time that it would be convenient to pursue each other? Would we have ended up together?
Anyone that knows me is aware of the fact that I tend to reflect upon the decisions I've made-- probably a bit too much. I often fret over whether or not I have followed the right path, been true to myself, or done the "right" thing... I'd like to think that I have...I think no matter what path I could have stumbled upon, at the core I would still value the same things: honesty, love, dignity, and laughter (to name a few). As it is right now, I am satisfied with the path I have chosen. I have good friends, a good family, and a bright future...
I am excited about the path that lies before me. I look forward to the twists and turns it may bring...
No comments:
Post a Comment